March 28, 2012

Lyme Regis News: “Residents’ delight as £19.5m funds secured for coast scheme”

RESIDENTS are delighted after a £19.5 million project to stop homes slipping into the sea at Lyme Regis was given the green light.

The Environment Agency has confirmed that it was supporting phase IV of West Dorset District Council coastal protection scheme at East Cliff.

The project will safeguard about 244 homes and 900 metres of Charmouth Road and Church Street which would have been destroyed by coastal erosion over the next 50 years. (more…)

Filed under: Dorset,Press Article — Tags: , , , — jaydublu @ 1:56 pm

February 27, 2012

NW Evening Mail: “Feelings are mixed after Walney coast summit”

A SUMMIT to discuss coastal erosion on Walney revealed there is funding to help solve the problem – but residents left the meeting with contrasting emotions.

Representatives from the Environment Agency told Friday’s 90-minute meeting in Barrow Town Hall the government had set aside £680,000 to tackle the problem.

But matched funding of £200,000 must be found in order for that money to be made available by Defra. (more…)

Filed under: Cumbria,Press Article — Tags: , , , — jaydublu @ 11:05 am

February 9, 2012

DEFRA: “25,000 more homes to be better protected from flooding”

Over 25,000 more homes will be better protected from the devastating effects of flooding by new defence schemes to start construction in the next financial year, Defra and the Environment Agency have confirmed today.

In total, 60 flood and coastal risk schemes will begin construction this year. Those given the go ahead today include Warrington in Cheshire, protecting over 1900 households, Salmons Brook in North London, protecting over 1300 households, and Godmanchester in Cambridgeshire, protecting over 300 households.

Richard Benyon, Minister for the Natural Environment and Fisheries, said:

“The new flood defence schemes announced today will bring huge relief to tens of thousands of households.  Our investment will protect these communities from the devastating effects of flooding, and allow residents to live without the fear and worry of their homes being damaged.” (more…)

Filed under: News — Tags: , — jaydublu @ 1:31 pm

January 14, 2012

Chichester Observer: “Full steam ahead for defence works in West Wittering “

WORKS to protect 65 homes in West Wittering from flooding in the future are going ‘full steam ahead’, the Environment Agency has said.

Residents and the community in the Witterings managed to raise an incredible £150,000 to help pay for the defence works.

The homes will be protected by raising the current embankment on the shore with clay. Preparation construction works have started but will not be implemented on the beach until April when birds stop nesting there. (more…)

Filed under: Press Article,Sussex — Tags: , , , , — jaydublu @ 11:35 am

December 22, 2011

Coastal Scene: “Thorpeness: Coastal defence project completed”

A £400,000 scheme to protect a vulnerable stretch of Suffolk coastline has finished ahead of schedule.

The second phase of the project at Thorpeness involved nearly 2,000 fabric bags filled with sand and shingle being used to strength the defences.

The defences at the northern end of the village are being reconstructed and strengthened after damage caused by storms in June last year. (more…)

Filed under: Press Article,Suffolk — Tags: , , — jaydublu @ 11:22 am

November 15, 2011

Chichester Observer: “Selsey holiday park funds sea defences”

A holiday park in Selsey has put forward plans to make changes to its sea defence works.

Bunn Leisure is privately funding a £15m scheme at West Sands Caravan Park to protect its business and the west side of Selsey.

The original plans were granted planning permission in 2009 but Bunn wants to change the type of rock, profiling and footprint of the breakwaters, as well as change the source of shingle for a beach recharge. (more…)

Filed under: Press Article,Sussex — Tags: , , , , — jaydublu @ 2:06 pm

September 19, 2011

BBC: “Shotley community praised for erosion funding”

Residents in Shotley have been praised for helping to raise more than £100,000 to protect their coastline.

The Shotley Stour Footpath Renovation Group worked with local councils, businesses and environment groups to arrange the coastal erosion defence.

The group also oversaw the renovation of a picnic area at Shotley Gate. (more…)

Filed under: Press Article,Suffolk — Tags: , — jaydublu @ 3:59 pm

July 22, 2011

BBC: “Coastal communities to benefit from Crown Estate fund”

A fund worth more than £23.7m for the UK’s coastal communities has been announced by Chancellor George Osborne.

The fund represents half of the gross revenues from the Crown Estate’s marine activities.

The Scottish government has said the announcement does not go nearly far enough in returning money to the areas where it is raised. (more…)

Filed under: Press Article,scotland — Tags: , , , — jaydublu @ 11:43 am

EDP: “Coastal communities urged to work together to secure government grant”

Coastal communities across the region could soon bid for a slice of government money to help rejuvenate their area, it emerged last night.

The chancellor of the exchequer and chief secretary to the treasury will today announce the launch of a Coastal Communities Fund, which will support a wide range of projects.

The multi-million-pound fund is designed to support the economic development of coastal communities and will be available on a bid basis. (more…)

May 24, 2011

Guardian Blog: “Flood defence funding: now you can buy your own”

It’s time to wade back into the troubled waters of flood and coastal defence funding in England, because the government unveiled a new plan on Monday. Here’s the headline from the Defra press release:

More flood and coastal defence schemes to go ahead under new funding system

Sounds good right? As regular visitors will know, I have been angered by the glaring contradiction between ministers saying that the risk of flooding is rising due to climate change, and then cutting year-on-year funding by over 25%. Over 1000 schemes that were in line for funding no longer have it.

Of the new arrangement, environment minister Richard Benyon said: “This new funding system means more flood defence schemes will benefit from government money so we can protect more people and properties.” So the new funding system means more government money, you’re thinking. You’re wrong. There is no new money to alleviate the risks of floods devastating people’s homes and businesses. (more…)

Filed under: Blog — Tags: , , , , , , — jaydublu @ 9:45 am
Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress